Monday, December 06, 2004

Worst. Law School Class. Ever.

So I just had my last class in "Fundamental Lawyering Skills." I can't emphasize too much what an unbearably bad class it was. For some reason that I've never been able to explain fully, there's an inverse relationship between the value of a class and the pretentiousness or gravity of the teacher. This class was a perfect example; it was a thoroughly worthless class, yet the teacher was insufferably pretentious and self-important.

The thing that kills me is that there's some reasonably interesting terrain to mine; there was enough to work with that we could've written some interesting papers or something. Instead, however, we were forced to write utterly banal regurgitation papers, replete with citations to such intellectual powerhouses as "Getting to Yes!"

Ugh.

Here I am, 27, and I'm being infantilized by a peabrained, two-bit, small-time petty crime defense lawyer. Shoulda gone to grad school.

I coulda been a contender.