Sunday, February 20, 2005

Wedding Planning

Yep, it's that special time in a man's life when he has to fight the good fight and insist that there be no children whatsoever in his wedding. Who's that one lunatic that my hero S.Z. at World O' Crap is always mocking? I think it's Doug Giles. Anyways, the man is right about one thing: there's too much fucking cutesy-poo shit these days, and churches are ground-zero for it.

Y'know, contemporary evangelical christianity fetishizes children, and it gives me the heeby-jeebies. The last time I went to my parents' church, they had this nauseating segment where they brought a bunch of kids up to the front, and the Sunday school teacher did a little Q&A with the kids. Like, she'd ask them banal crap like "Who's our saviour? And how much does he love us?" It was absolutely grotesque, and all the more so because all of these infantilized adults around me were getting all sentimental, and probably thinking things like "That's.......how I should love the lord!"

Ick.

Well, I've been thinking about writing a post for the Christian Carnival, but I don't think this one will pass muster.