Thursday, June 02, 2005

Ohio: Heart of Darkness It All

This letter from the Cleveland PD pretty clearly lays out why I'm so ambivalent about moving back to Ohio:

A member of my church gave to me a copy of the Ohio Restoration Project....The
project will target 2,000 pastors throughout the state to become "patriot
pastors." These patriot pastors will be briefed on a specific political agenda
and asked to submit names of their parishioners in order to increase a database
to 300,000 names. These pastors will be asked to place voter guides in their
church pews....At the end of the document are the words, "America has a mission
to share a living savior with a dying world."
Ick. I was raised in close proximity to the batshit Religious Right, and I've always retained a fascination with crappy evangelical culture. Having been on the east coast for the last decade, I've been able to explore that fascination at a certain remove. Now that I'm heading back into the land of bad perms and Jesus & Nascar muscle-Ts, though, I'm not sure how I'll cope. Whatever happens, it probably won't be pretty. (the light-to-non-existent blogging has been a direct result of said ambivalence)

(HT: Kos)